Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Promise by Mahlatse Mokone

Growing up with a rich father and a beautiful mother, Katelyn Gilbert's life is exactly how she wants it to be. Most of the time. As destiny would have it, something or someone is going to crash-land into her life and it will never be the same again. Follow her story as she experiences life, love, happiness and pain. Excerpt: I raked my brush through my dark hair, it’s long and thick, and the auburn tint is only visible in the sunlight. Given that I was already late I didn’t have time to do anything fancy with it. My gaze dropped to the necklace my Mom gave me when I was little. I absolutely loved it; it had a very vintage style to it. It looked priceless yet simple and my mother claim that it’s been in her family for generations. I’m Katelyn Melanie Gilbert, proclaimed one of the popular girls high school. Everyone saw me as the spoiled mean girl who always gets what she wants. Sometimes the false perception people have of me bothers me. I was not mean, I was outspoken. I was not spoiled; I was privileged. I sighed and stood up from my dressing table, it was a Monday. I hated this day with a passion as any 16-year-old 10th grader would. “Mom!” I called out, and minutes later she appeared on the doorway, leaning against it. “Have you seen my black Chanel bag anywhere?” I asked. “Did you check your bottom drawer? You always leave stuff there and forget them sweetie.” She said with a slight smile. She walked further into my room; her movement was effortlessly elegant. Lucky Melissa Gilbert is a very beautiful woman, and I’m not even being biased because she’s my mother. For a woman in her forties she could easily pass off as being in her early thirties. Almost everyone says I look like her, although I don’t have her green eyes. They’re her most beautiful feature, sometimes I wish I had them too but I have my Dad’s eyes instead. Not that I’m complaining. I think I unconsciously idolize my mother, but would never admit it to myself and especially to her, I don’t even know why. I went to the drawer next to my closet and pulled at the bottom one, indeed I found my bag under a whole heap of stuff I’ve been looking for. I made a mental note to always look there when I lose something.

View online or get a free copy in pdf format

No comments:

Post a Comment